All through my maternity leave, Kitty spent a couple of days a week at her nursery.  It kept her place open (which was the primary reason for continuing to send her), kept up a little of her routine when the rest of the world was changing around her, and as a lovely perk I got to spend that time one-on-one with Elma.  They were lovely special days together; I got to take her to some of the classes that I’d done with Kitty, and to baby swimming, and for those few brief hours I didn’t have to choose whose needs to meet, she got all of my attention.

Now our days together are full of the fun of watching these two sisters grow and play together, but every now and then I get to snatch a little stolen moment of one on one time with my baby.

Of the two girls, Elma is generally the better sleeper, it’s Kitty who still wakes up and crawls into our bed in the middle of the night.  But once she’s there she sleeps quite contentedly, sprawling out across all the available and not so available space, and it’s Miss Elma who is the early riser.

She usually wakes up just after six, and if the rest of the family are still dreaming I’ll scoop her out of her cot and head downstairs for a little milk and cuddles, and then a little playing.  The early start can be a bit killer on work days but when we don’t have to be up there’s something a little special about being together in the quiet of the early morning, watching the day start to brighten outside and the first shards of light peeking through the bottom of the curtain.

20131026-DSC_0118

Our favourite game at the moment is a sort of crawling version of hide peepo; I hide around the corner then peek out from behind the arm chair a few times going thump thump thump along the floor and back again until she caves in with an enormous giggle and comes sprint-crawling to meet me; straight through the tunnel of my arms and legs and then sits up underneath me for a kiss.

20131026-DSC_0130

20131026-DSC_0128

20131026-DSC_0122

20131026-DSC_0134

And then of course there is the very great fun in finally getting her hands on her big sister’s Minnie Mouse memory game.  Elma has been eyeing it up and trying to run off with the pieces since Kitty first unwrapped it; she had so much fun taking each little square out of the box and laying them out around her; and then started crawling over firstly to give them to me, and then she started trying to feed them to me – definitely a hint that breakfast was long overdue.

It was only an hour or so, just a little moment of silly playing time, but we loved it.

mummy daddy me

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Tagged with:

20 Responses to Early One Morning

1. Anna-Marie says:

I think the individual one on one time is so precious. When you have 2 you are constantly battling who to give your attention to first. Its hard.

With Moo at school I cherish the time I have with the little man as its the only time we have one on one. But when Moo gets home we are back together as a family and its lovely.

• Carie Carie says:

Having one at school must be lovely in that you get your one one one time totally guilt free – one of my friends’ sons just started school and the first day of term she finally got to take her daughter to ballet; T had been asking to go for ages and with her brother happily occupied, off she went!

2. Charlotte says:

Lovely photos. I love the last one! Great perspective! I only have 1 child so don’t know what it’s like to have to split my time. Maybe one day.x x

3. Gorgeous as always Carie, those snatched moments when you are a mummy to two are always so special. Miss Elma looks like she relishes the quiet time with her Mummy. And I adore her Pjs, I am a massive Russian doll fan! I may need to know where you got these. ;)

• Carie Carie says:

Ah the PJs are vintage I’m afraid – John Lewis circa Spring 2011 – a Kitty hand me down that I was very happy to unpack from the baby clothes box and put into circulation!

4. Sounds like a lovely little moment to get some one on one time with your girl and she certainly looks like she is enjoying it x

5. Oh these pictures are BEAUTIFUL look at the concentration! xx

6. Caroline says:

Since Brodie started nursery Grier has been having a ball with the train set, marble run and anything else she fancies whilst he’s not here. I’ve really enjoyed one on one time with her too.
    Lovely photos, she seems to have grown loads in just a few weeks – looking so grown up!

• Carie Carie says:

Hasn’t she just – there’s been a little growth spurt lengthways but I think her face is changing too – where is my baby going?!

7. Katie says:

Sounds like you had a really special time, the both of you :)
    Baby S’s favorite things are memory game/jigsaw pieces. He just loves to eat them though! x

8. Ahh I love the way her little toes are curled over! I also love coming down with J early in the morning before everyone wakes up, it is so nice to give the younger ones special attention sometimes as they can get overlooked by the older ones a lot of the time x

• Carie Carie says:

It’s strange now to think that Kitty had my complete and undivided attention until she was a couple of months past two- and so lovely to give Elma even a smidgen of that feeling.

9. sarah says:

so lovely, grabbing those special moments. i treasure time with just one of my lot!

• Carie Carie says:

It’s so funny how quickly having just one feels like a real treat; it’s still less than a year since it was just one all the time!!

10. Lucy says:

You definitely catch the moments where you can when you have two children. And I think I appreciate the time more because it’s a little harder to come by. It sounds like you had some lovely mama-Elma time. x

• Carie Carie says:

It’s a bit like the shift from pre-children to the baby days when what was just time becomes very scarce time to yourself! I love having one on one time but I always find I miss the other one after a little while, especially now they play together so sweetly.