I’m writing this on another dark evening, as the wind howls through the trees behind our house and tugs at the tarpaulin on the roof next door, and the rain drops splat noisily against the window.  It’s been the orchestra to January, and seems to be making a fair bid for February too.  It’s strange, I think I’ve almost become desensitised to the rain; it’s just such a normal part of our everyday right now.  Pulling up the hood to my raincoat as I scuttle up the hill to collect the girls at the end of my work days; or wrapping them up in as many waterproof layers as I can find as we head out for a smidgen of fresh air.

And even when it isn’t actually raining, it’s been grey, and with the grey comes the dark.  Lights on throughout the day, detail lost in the gloaming and the sheer frustration (from a photography point of view at least) of having to constantly ramp up the ISO to get enough light into the camera to give it half a chance to capture the small but speedy young ladies.

But then the sunshine comes; bursting out in a glorious array of colour and light, albeit for far too short a time.

I found I’d forgotten that things could be so vibrant; forgotten that actually my house isn’t a little dank cave buried in a hill, but that when the sun shines it’s bright and lovely.  I also found that I’d forgotten that grey and dark can be quite a nice mask for “needs dusting”, and the sunbeams danced their way across more than a few cobwebs, but that’s a story (and a chore) for another day.

But dust bunnies aside, it was worth it.  It made everyone so happy; simply say in our lounge soaking it all in – Mickey Mouse waffles optional!

I think after this winter I can understand the mad March hares a little better; all this extra light makes you want to run around a little crazily; to celebrate, just in case it doesn’t come again perhaps.

Kitty in particular seemed to have a fit of the fidgets; she could barely keep still, even to eat.  If she wasn’t dancing, she was singing,

and if she wasn’t singing, she was scaling her long-suffering father like a climbing frame – waffle clamped firmly between her teeth for safe keeping.

My little expressive funny-face; so tired of winter I think, and definitely ready for a little spring sunshine; even of the freezing cold variety.

Sadly I think the forecast will disappoint her; so we’ll have to store up these days to warm ourselves with on the next afternoon of racing raindrops down the windows.

mummy daddy me

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

26 Responses to Sunshine, on my window, makes me happy

1. Anna-Marie says:

Ive seen the sunshine shine through my window this week too and its been a delight.. Gorgeous photos xx

• Carie Carie says:

Hasn’t it jus been wonderful – it’s a shame it isn’t set to last, I could do with a lot more sunshine!

2. Just a little bit of sunshine makes all the difference doesn’t it? Brings a bit of happiness back into the world! Lovely #ordinarymoment xx

3. Jenny says:

It’s a great change from the doom/gloom we have been having lately isn’t it? Lovely pictures. Looks like everyone was enjoying the sun rays. Nothing better than the sun brightening the house up, even if it does show those dust bunnies and cobwebs. hehe

• Carie Carie says:

Thank you- it was such a gorgeous change it really emphasised just how much grey we’ve had lately!

4. I am definitely affected by the weather – I am longing to see a real Spring now – it felt like the roof tiles were blowing away last night! Such sweet photos xx #ordinarymoments

• Carie Carie says:

My Dad lives on the south coast and has spent more than a few mornings collecting roof tiles from his gutters – it’s just been crazy hasn’t it!

5. Miliwife1 says:

This is a lovely post! We seem to get slightly less rainy weather here in Northern Germany than the UK does but I can remember feeling the same last year when it snowed from February to April. I was stuck at home with a new-born baby, a husband deployed to Kenya and a snow shovel (it is law to clear the pavement by your house here) and those fleeting moments of sunshine warmed every bit of my body and soul…… Fingers crossed the storms that are battering the UK pass soon and you can all get stuck into Spring! x

• Carie Carie says:

Oh goodness! Well that puts our rainy days into perspective – although I don’t think I’d get tired of snow quite so quickly – for one thing it improves the light! Fingers crossed for all of us that we get Spring soon!

6. My children all have a touch of cabin fever too, damn this weather! #TheOrdinaryMoments

7. I am so sick of all this rain!! Just checked my forecast and it looks like another week of it, I really hope we have a nice Summer or I’m moving! You are right though, it does make it easier to appreciate what little sun we do have x

• Carie Carie says:

Well down by you it’s been even worse I think! – I thought it was just January blues until I saw the chart that puts us in the 200-250% of annual rainfall patch for January – it’s just crazy!

8. I’m glad that we’ve had snow rather than rain, but I think we all need Spring now. Lovely photos!

9. I am just so sick of this weather, normally I am ok with winter, but I just want it to be spring to be able to get out and about. Our younger girls are just at that age where obviously they aren’t walking properly yet and it means that if we did go out for long winter walks they would be stuck in the buggy, and it just is so cold and unfair for them. Roll on summer! x

• Carie Carie says:

Quite, at least the big girls can bundle up and run around but it’s just cold and a little boring for our babies – come on Spring!!

10. Katie says:

Ah we are the same – soon as the rain clears i’m like ‘Quick everyone park now!!’
    Gorgeous shots of kitty :)

11. Lauren says:

Gosh you write so beautifully. We’ve been extremely lucky here that the sunny days and rainy days have been quite even. Although not sunny enough to make it warm of course, the wind hasn’t been great but just a bit of sunshine in the house can be wonderful x

• Carie Carie says:

Aww thank you :) it’s so true, just the sunshine in the house makes a massive difference to how we all feel!

12. Ahhh… Lovely pictures! Isn’t this weather ridiculous?? It doesn’t feel like winter OR spring! Got to make the most of every speck of sunshine and every break in the rain!x

• Carie Carie says:

Thank you – maybe we need a new season instead – just called Rainy or to poach from north of the border, Dreek!

13. chantelle says:

Gorgeous photos! I have been reading about the weather in the UK on the news its ridiculous!!!!