The last two days have been absolutely all kinds of wonderful and amazing. I need at least one if not several good nights sleep before I’m in any state to put words to the sheer amazingly wonderful experience that was Blogtacular, and even then I’m not sure I’m going to be able to do it justice. There are lots of pictures to come though!

But this isn’t about Blogtacular per se, more what it meant. And what is meant was that for the first time in Elma’s life, and only the second time in Kitty’s life, I left them for a night (we may now pause for the collective gasp of horror while half the Internet wonders what kind of a crazy hippie I am to have only left Kit once when she’s three and a half, and the other half wonders how I can live with myself to have so cruelly abandoned my children in the loving care of their adoring father!)

When I first booked my ticket H and I had discussed whether we would bring the whole family to London so that we could be together on Friday night and decided that actually the girls were old enough to manage a night away, that if he took them on a trip to Gran and Grandad they wouldn’t be as concerned by Mummy not coming home, and he argued that I deserved a bit of time to be properly just Carie (the fact that he thinks like that being one of many reasons why (a) I married him and (b) I brought him back cake).

And so on Friday morning I packed the girls’ bits and bobs, helped H load them into the car, and waved them off with a bit of a lump in my throat. And then I took a shower all by myself, got dressed entirely at my own pace, packed a diminutive bag for my overnight kit and caught the train to London.

20140510-200718.jpg

Being on my own, in London, for pleasure was initially a little surreal and at the same time incredibly decadent. I could spend as long as I liked in Anthropologie (and it was a while!), I pottered in Liberty’s, imagining all of their gorgeous fabrics made up into summer dresses for the girls (along with the requisite time to make them, and weather to wear them) and then chose exactly when, where and what I fancied having as a pre-conference snack.

20140510-201335.jpg

proving that I’m really bad at iPhone selfies – I was trying to show the giant lightbulbs behind me!

I think I was more worried that I would find it hard being away from my trio than that they would miss me but in the end it was OK. And I was OK with it being OK if that makes any kind of sense.

20140510-200950.jpg

There were moments when I missed having them there to share something; the sparkly Union Jack sign in Carnaby Street that Elma would have loved, or a macaroon pyramid in the window of Lauduree that was just Kitty’s perfect colour of pink, and I’m glad I was busy long long into the evening, oh and the cuddles from my small nephew early on Saturday morning didn’t hurt either!

But the best, the very best thing about being away,

20140510-212817.jpg

Is the moment when you’re all back together again.

mummy daddy me

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

16 Responses to Away and then back home again

1. Michelle says:

ahh so sweet and it is definitely the best moment coming back home isn’t it?! I’m never good at taking selfies I always end up with half a face x #OrdinaryMoments

• Carie Carie says:

I always find I end up looking not quite like me – I think it’s because it’s a picture not a mirror – and because I’m always concentrating at the moment of pressing the trigger!

2. It is great coming back home, and realising how much you’ve missed them and how much you’ve been missed. Great that you got to enjoy London all by yourself though. I’m looking forward to reports on Blogtacular! X

• Carie Carie says:

Blogtacular was amazing – and there’s going to be a virtual conference version coming soon – so you might get to see bits of it too!

3. Anna-Marie says:

This is lovely Carie, and what a gem of a husband! I bet the cuddles when you got back home were amazing! xx

4. Sarah says:

I’m glad you had a good time in London – it must have been so nice to just go wherever you fancied! And I bet the girls had a great time with their Gran and Grandad too :-)

• Carie Carie says:

It’s the cherry on the top of being away isn’t it – that they had just as much fun while I was away.

5. Ah this is lovely Carie and I totally agree with you. The girls have been jumping on me, cuddling me and kissing me all day, and LL keeps looking at me in slight awe that I am actually here. It’s wonderful to go away as you realise just quite how lucky you are to have them. It was a wonderful weekend wasn’t it, and it was so so lovely to spend time with you. xx

• Carie Carie says:

It was lovely to see you too – and yes, today has been spent with lots and lots of cuddles – it’s the best way to be!

6. Jenny says:

Ahhh Carie so beautiful. Love the welcoming home bit it’s the best. I recently was away for Blog On and Missy Moo was the same cuddling and not letting me out of her sight for fear I would disappear again. I love having me time but the best bit you are so right is coming home to them wanting and loving you so much. Looks like you had a great day at blogtacular. I would have loved to go.

7. Glad you had such a great break away. I’ve never left my 12 month overnight (in fact I’ve only just started leaving her for more than a couple of hours) but you are right, coming homes to her smiles and cuddles are the best.

• Carie Carie says:

Kitty was 26 months when Elma was born (and that was the only night I’d been away from her until Friday) – I just never had any need to go and as we were nursing until she was 2 there was quite the incentive to be at home. It’s nice to know that I can be away even though I doubt there’s any need for me to go before Little Bump comes along!

8. No place like home. ANd home is where our family is =) #ordinarymoments