Remember how I thought I was doing OK with the heat. It turned out it was a big fib.

I’m not going to go all ranty and complaining on you don’t worry (I don’t want to write wingeing and I can’t imagine who on earth would want to read it) but in the spirit of reality I can say with some degree of certainty that last Saturday broke me.  It was the kind of hot humid day where you just want to take your skin off and sit in your bones.  With wall to wall thick cloud of that palest grey that looks and feels like you’re being smothered in a blanket of stuffed toy filling, even sitting still was just too hot.  My fingers and toes and ankles all started to impersonate hot air balloons and a happier girl you never did find on Sunday morning when we woke up to the familiar rustle of the wind rippling through the trees behind the house.

Even the baby seemed to feel it; for those few trying days the over-excited hops and kicks turned into more languid rolls and prods, although I’m sure at least some of that must be due to the Little Bump starting to run out of space.

Please let him or her be starting to run out of space; I really thought I couldn’t have got much bigger in one week and yet the camera doesn’t lie (well not unless I tell it to) and I think that bump might just have got bigger again.  I’ve not seen the midwife this week so I don’t have an updated estimate weight, and to be honest I think I might have to start ignoring estimated weights in the interest of maintaining a little calm aura of optimism about the birth.  What I do know is that even H thinks it’s (a) bigger and (b) lower than last week.  The pictures suggest he’s right about (a), as does the appearance of a whole new set of bright red stretch marks across the top of the bump, and (b) is rather verified by my inability to sit in a ladylike manner!

This week’s big event (at least in baby planning terms) was our visit from the Health Visitor.  It’s something our Health Visiting team starting doing when I was expecting Elma, they come out for a visit a few weeks before your due date for a half hour chat; usually about what the Health Visitors do, when they’ll take over from the midwives, when clinic is and things like that.  The idea behind it is really excellent; you get to meet your Health Visitor so they’re a familiar face when they turn up at your door in the middle of the sleep deprived baby haze, and they get to see you when you’re not sleep deprived and baby hazy which I suspect gives them quite a nice benchmark for your particular version of normal to help them assess you for any non-verbal signs of post natal depression etc.

If the effect was somewhat spoiled by our visitor being a temporary summer cover; well at least we all tried; she was lovely and we had a nice chat.

I have also pulled out from the drawer my hospital bag and put it on the bench in our bedroom.  It’s funny, it’s a bag I was given as a birthday present the year we had Kitty (it’s a squish it and fold away Cath Kidston holdall) and I’ve used it as my hospital bag for all the children; I just always seem to forget about its existence when I’m packing to go anywhere else.  Right now it contains the Little Bump’s mama-made cardigan, a packet of newborn nappies and a packet of Water Wipes so I’m not sure I could claim that I’m completely packed, but I have at least started to acknowledge that I may need some of these bits and bobs at some time in the next three to five weeks.

And speaking of the next three to five weeks – any signs of labour? No.  The baby may be lower and I’m getting a few runs of Braxton-Hicks with a fairly strong correlation to Elma nursing but they aren’t painful, just noticeable so I think we’ve still got some way to go!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

19 Responses to 37 Weeks of a Little Bump and Me

1. Carie, I can’t believe you’re so close now, how exciting! You look fantastic – all baby! xx

2. @goriami says:

Ahh! I had a similar thing with the heat not bothering me then suddenly fitting in with a baby growth spurt I found it unbearable! Hey ho.. not long to go! x

• Carie Carie says:

I think it might just have been that one weekend the humidity got to the point where it just tipped over from coping to ‘pass the ice packs I want to go live in the freezer'; but as you say not long now!!

3. ToddlerSlave says:

I really really feel for you with the heat! I’m finding it unbearable and I’m only 15 weeks- glad we’ve had some cooler days this week! I can’t imagine how uncomfortable it is with a big bump! X

• Carie Carie says:

It is the perfect excuse to each your toddler’s height in ice lollies though – there’s always a silver lining!

4. sally says:

Just make sure you’re taking it easy, feet up and all that! And I still think better in than out right at the moment. Although our heat and humidity has broken this last couple of days, so hopefully yours might have too.

5. Molly says:

You look cheerful and glowing and happy – so the heat certainly hasn’t zapped from you! I feel your pain though, the humidity is the worse – worse than baking hot sunshine that at least allows you to sit in a paddling pool and eat ice lollies. That health visiting system sounds great, what a brilliant idea. I’m so excited on your behalf – I keep checking to make sure there’s no baby yet! x

6. Lauren says:

My goodness you look SO amazing. You really suit pregnancy so well. I do feel for you in this heat.
    I hope you don’t have long to wait. We’ve been away this week and as soon as I got signal I searched to see if the baby had come yet.
    Hopefully the weather cools down for you and you can feel a little more comfortable xx

• Carie Carie says:

Oh I think you’re safe for a good couple of weeks – i’ve gone late with both of the girls and I’m determined that it should be cooler before I do anything so crazy as contemplate going into labour!

7. Melaina25 says:

Oh that’s nice! We would have never met our health visitor EVER if I hadn’t have phoned when Blondie Boy was born. Still haven’t seen her since that one time.

☼Transatlantic Blonde☼

• Carie Carie says:

It’s funny how different the different PCTs can be – ours has always been wonderful for which I’m hugely grateful!

8. Milly Sell says:

It’s so hot … soooooo hot!! With you all the way on the unladylike seating positions. Home straight though, hurrah! Might think about a hospital bag soon too … :)

• Carie Carie says:

I managed to add a babygro to mine this weekend – you never know, it might have something in it by the time the baby arrives!

9. Thats such a great idea about your health visitor coming to see you before birth, I wish ours did the same actually. And you bump is looking amazing- definitely lower too. I have a feeling it won’t be long!x x x

10. Not sure if my previous comment came through or not so apologies for the duplicate if it did! Thats such a great idea about your health visitor coming to see you before the birth, I really wish mine did that too. And your bump is amazing- definitely lower. I don’t think it will be long at all! x x